Next Video Conference
- Meeting: Case conference
- Topic: COVID airway management
- Date: Monday 13th April
- Time: 7pm – 8pm
- Medium: Video conference via GoToMeeting
Here are some links to COVID-19 resources;
NOTE: I was planning for this to be a fairly short list, but it has grown quite by accident. I won’t be actively checking existing links so they may become outdated or broken over time.
Please note changes from original date and venue.
Details on how to set up your phone/tablet/computer have been circulated via the AnSafe email list.
A note on AnSafe Meetings: Both Pindara Private Hospital and the Gold Coast Private Hospital consider 50% attendance at these
meetings essential to continued accreditation of anaesthetists.
On attending you will be able to claim 2 credits per hour ANZCA CPD points.
Submit agenda items on the AnSafe page.
Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors (SGLT2i) are oral medications that promote glucose excretion in the urine for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Note that SGLT2i are not approved for use in the management of type 1 diabetes in Australia or New Zealand, although they are sometimes used off-label in this setting.
• Over the last few years there has been an increasing number of reports of patients with type 2 diabetes who are taking these medications developing severe acidosis requiring ICU/HDU admission during the peri-operative period.
• SGLT2i carry a small but definite risk of severe diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Sometimes this DKA is associated with near normal or only mildly elevated blood glucose levels (i.e. euglycaemic ketoacidosis [euDKA]).
• The risk is increased if the patient has been fasting or has very restricted dietary intake, has undergone bowel preparation and/or a surgical procedure, is dehydrated or has an intercurrent illness such as active infection.
• Blood ketone testing is strongly recommended to detect and monitor DKA as urine ketone testing may be unreliable
You can download the full document here: Download SGLT2 Jan 2020 PDF
WHEN: 6.15pm – 9.00pm Thursday, 27 February 2020
WHERE: The Lakeside Terrace HOTA (Formerly known as The Arts Centre Gold Coast) 135 Bundall Rd Surfers Paradise
RSVP is essential. Registrations close Monday 24 February
(Posted on behalf of Naomi Pearson)
I would like to invite everyone to attend the SPANZA Paediatric Anaesthetic Update meeting to be held at GCUH on February 29th next year. This meeting is a fantastic opportunity to hear local and interstate speakers give practical updates on a variety of paediatric anaesthetic topics. We are also running three workshops to get some hands on experience but numbers are limited so get in quick! It is open to all anaesthetists, anaesthetic registrars, nurses and anaesthetic technicians so please invite your colleagues and assistants. Registrations are open at;
Looking forward to seeing you there!
6.15pm – 9.00pm
Thursday, 23 May 2019
The Lakeside Terrace
HOTA (Formerly known as The Arts Centre Gold Coast)
135 Bundall Rd
6.15pm Registration & welcome drinks
6.40pm Dinner served
7.00pm Presentation#1 Dr Andrew Jones
8.00pm Presentation#2 Dr Bernadette Brown
RSVP is essential. Registrations close Monday 20 May 2019.
Your are eligible to claim 2 hours (4 credits) under “Practice Evaluation – Case Discussions/Conferencing” for ANZCA CPD.
Dates for this year’s Grand Rounds are;
Don’t forget you can claim 2 hours (4 credits) under “Practice Evaluation – Case Discussions/Conferencing”, attendance certificates are issued on the night.